Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Figure Out What You Want From Therapy


The first step in finding your ideal therapist is articulating why you actually want to go into therapy. I don't mean a broad, long-term psychological goal, like "I want to forgive my mother for not being there for me" or "I want to make my peace with the looming specter of death." For now, focus on the immediate problem that's bringing you to your therapist's door. Think of something simple, like "I've been having a hard time dealing with the stress of school this semester," "I've been feeling very depressed lately," or "I want to discuss my sexual assault with someone who will offer unconditional support." This will help you communicate effectively with potential therapists, and help you more easily see if they're a good fit for you.
You may very well eventually find that you want to explore issues beyond your initial issue in therapy — but you don't have to figure that out now.
Now is also a good time to come up with what qualities you want most in a therapist, like "I want to see someone who is sex positive," or "I want to see someone who is experienced with treating people who fall all over the gender spectrum." This can help you focus and narrow down your search as it goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment